Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Flashback Tuesday!

In light of my recent post about our beach trip and falling out of the car, I was reminded of an earlier family adventure to the coast. Only instead of falling out of the car, I fell off a horse, well jumped off really. To this day I am not quite sure where my brain was on that trip. I guess temporaraly gone due to preganancy-i hate it when that happens.

I know this is a terrible picture-it makes me look like a female sumo wrestler.

Well the fateful day went something like this. "Hey wouldnt it be so much fun to go for a horseback ride at the beach." This was my suggestion to Randall as we are on our little adventure. So we all agreed we just had to do it. Obviously my brain was no where to be found, because had I thought about it a little more I would have decided it was not such a great idea for a 5 month pregnant lady. But because I severely lacked judgement at the time I was certain that it would be no big deal. After all we were just going for a leisurely stroll down the beach. We payed for our ride and the wranglers brought the horses over for us to get onto. As I gazed over the corral they appeared to be fairly trusty steeds, until they brought over the most mammoth horse I have ever seen in my life. This thing was huge!! They called for me get on the horse-my first thought was SERIOUSLY!! NO WAY. But oh no, despite my reservations Parker and I mount the mammoth beast. My first clue to not proceed should have been that my pregnant belly and Parker could barely fit on the saddle together. But oh no, I'm an adventerous girl I told myself, we'll be just fine.

Randall and Abrianna got on another much smaller horse and we rode off through the sands with our guide. While traveling through the small dunes to reach the beach my horse kept stopping to do some business. Well 1 time no big deal, but 2, 3, 4, times Seriously!!!! He just couldnt stop. The guide thought maybe he wasnt feeling well but wasnt concerned. Well I was starting to get concerned. He proceed to have the same problem all the way down the beach. Our guide was in front followed closely by Randall and Abrianna, and Parker and I brought up the rear. Well out of no where my horse just stops, and no matter what I do he wont move. Everyone else is so much further ahead of us that no one know that we have stopped. Then out of no where we start going down. This mammoth of a horse started sinking like the titanic. My first reaction was oh my gosh he is going to buck us off. But oh no it was a slow decent and thank goodness. He first sinks to his knees in front and then in back, all the while Parker and i are holding on for dear life. My next thought was that he would roll over on top of us. So as he lowers down to his belly I grab Parker and jump off the the horse, well rolled sort of, praying that our legs would make it out from under him. We made it off and ran as fast as we could away from that horse. I have never been more shaken up in my life. At this point I am really cursing myself for this great idea of mine. Well long story short we are miles down the beach and there is no way I am getting back on that horse. So the guide gives me hers, still quite large, to ride back. And let me tell you trying to get your 5 months pregnant backside and belly on a horse on the beach-nearly impossible. Well, I can laugh about it now, but lets just say you probably wont find me on a horse on the beach ever again.

No comments:

Post a Comment