Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Why do I always fall out of the car!!!!

This may seem like a silly question to pose, but it is seems quite appropriate in my life lately. Let me explain. Last weekend Randall and I decided last minute to get out of town for a much needed break. We packed up the car and took the kids to the coast for an overnight adventure. Everything was going great. The weather was even in our favor, which is rare on the Oregon Coast. The kids were down on the sand playing and Autumn was bundled up so cute and snuggly-it was her first time at the beach. So naturally I wanted to capture some memories with our camera. Well I was all geared up for a great shot when the camera decided not to work. I opened it up to see what the problem was only to discover that the memory card was gone!!! Well I decided that I was not going to let that stress me out or dampen my spirits-so oh well no pictures, I guess i can live with that. We continued our pleasant afternoon until it was time to check into our hotel. Well we get all checked in and to our room and we went to find the pool and IT WAS CLOSED. WHAT!!! I specifically had chosen this particular hotel because it had a pool right near our room. We had stayed there before and loved it. Well I was bound not to let that get me down either. So I ever to cheerily told the family that this would give us the wonderful opportunity to check out the other pool at the hotel, that we wouldnt have otherwise gone to. So we loaded everyone in the car in swimsuits and flipflops and drove up the hill the the main pool. Well, we park the car and I open the car door in a hurry and before I know it I am on the ground. We were in the Expedition, so it was a long way down. I didnt even fall gracefully. There was no catching myself or even time to realize that I was going down. One minute I was up and the next I was on the wet cement. I was so stunned I couldnt even move. Randall jumped out of the car and had to pick me up off the ground. The damage was already apparent, bruises on my legs and arms and a very large one on my hip that took the brunt of the blow. At this point I began thinking to myself, "You have got to be kidding me." For a brief moment I begn to wonder Why, Lord Why!!! I had been stressed out of my mind for weeks, having anxiety and feeling so exhausted from all of the demands of life, but I was really trying to look at the sunny side of life. I guess sometimes I just think there should be some brownie point or reward for choosing the high road. Example: Well Brook, I know the pool was closed at your hotel but because you decided to make the best of the situation.... you will now have a fabulous time with your family, everyone will cooperate and be happy and life will be wonderful. Wouldnt it be nice if it really worked like that. I guess it is the Lords way of keeping us humble. Because belive me, I really feel humble about a lot of things in my life lately. Well if I have learned one thing lately its that even when life doesnt go exactly as you have planned and even when you find that sunny patch through the gray, you still sometimes Fall Out Of The Car!!!!!!!!! So dont be too discouraged, life will get better even if it doesnt seem like it today.

1 comment:

  1. Brook, you are hilarious! I was laughing so hard reading this. I fell out of a car when I was very little...but it hasn't happened lately. :) BE careful!!

    BTW, have I mentioned how beautiful your kids are??

    ReplyDelete