Thursday, September 30, 2010

First Grade Follies

Today He was a real Boy. Full of curiosity and confidence our oldest child, who shall remain nameless, walked himself home from First Grade. Proud as he could be, he came through the door nearly 1/2 hour earlier then he normally gets home. A little taken back I asked him how he got home so early. With a mischevious grin he told me that he had walked home that day.

(Insert side note-Parker does not walk home from school, he rides the bus!!!!!!!! We live much too far from the school for a 1st grader to walk home)

To his reply I wasnt sure if I should laugh or cry. The Boy had guilt written all over his face. He then said "okay Mom, I'll tell you what really happened." Evidently the night before he had written a note to his teacher telling her that he was supposed to walk home that day. And of course the note never made it to school- but that didn't stop him. At the end of the day he marched himself into the cafeteria where the 'walkers' meet before they are allowed to go home. Somehow he bamboozled 'Mr. Poole' into believing that he had left his note at home (true i suppose) saying he was supposed to walk home instead of ride the bus. And without another thought they let him go.

Thank goodness for my dear Friend Nancy whom was driving home from the bank and ran into my son casually and confidently walking his 6 year old self home. She asked him if he wanted a ride to which he replied that he was just fine walking. After some convincing she got him to get in the car with a stern reminder that he should never get into the car with someone he did not know. She then drove him home and dropped him off. Thank you Nancy-I owe you big time!!!!

Of course as any good mother would do I gave him a stern lecture about the dangers of walking home alone and that he was never to do it again. Many tears were shed and some privileges lost but all in all he came out pretty unscathed. I must admit Randall and I had some pretty good laughs privately about the whole ordeal. This is one that won't be soon forgotten.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like he keeps you on your toes! What a smartie. :)

    P.S. I love your blog header photo--so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I heard this, I couldn't beleive it! Well then again I can. Parker is such an independent boy. I have a kiddo like that!

    ReplyDelete