Tuesday, February 16, 2010

My New Quest

I am on a quest. A quest to learn how to make rolls and homeade bread. It is my one cooking nemesis. I can bake and cook practically anything except, bread and rolls. And who doesnt love a nice ward piece of homeade bread!! Actually I may love it a little too much. The love turns right into love handles!!! Well good news-I think I have finally cracked the code. I know some of you will probably laugh at my new found discoveries, but for me it is huge. After all how can I be a proper Mormon Mom if I cant even bake a fresh loaf of homeade bread. So, I searched through many recipes until I found a few that I absolutely love and work for me. So for all of you who may be on the same quest, here are a few things that I have learned:

1. A Kitchen Aid mixer or similar machine is a must.
2. Knead, Knead, Knead-nearly 12 minutes in one recipe(of course this is what the mixer is for)
3. Dough enhancers-Vital wheat gluten, potato flakes, and vinegar
4. Rise, and Rise again.
5. Bake for the exact time given

Now here are the delicious recipes that I told you about. For my new favorite crescent roll recipe visit http://www.jamiecooksitup.blogspot.com/. The directions are really long, so I wont even attempt to re-copy it all, so look it up and print it out. It seems like alot, but it is really easy and they taste delicious. The second recipe is for homeade bread that really tastes like store bought bread, courtesy of my favorite website http://www.everydayfoodstorage.net/ vist this site, you will not regret it. She even has videos that will show you step by step how to prepare it. I am so happy to feel confident in my bread making skills, and am excited to share it with others.
HAPPY BREAD MAKING

EZ Whole Wheat Bread

1 1/4 cup warm water

1 Tbsp active dry yeast

1/4 cup honey or 1/3 cup sugar

2 3/4 cup whole wheat flour

1/4 cup wheat gluten

1 tsp salt

2 Tbsp nonfat non-instant dry milk

1 Tbsp butter

1 Tbsp vinegar

1/4 cup potato flakes
Mix ingredients in order listed in mixing bowl of mixer with dough hook attachment for 12-15 minutes. Let rise until double, 1 to 1 1/2 hours. Punch down, and shape into loaf or rolld. Let rise again until double and bake at 375 for 20-30 minutes until golden brown and sounds hollow when lightly tapped.


1 comment:

  1. They look perfect! Crystal, the one who does the everyday food storage site, was actually my next door neighbor at the dorms at Ricks. Isn't she amazing??

    ReplyDelete